( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tamara West
This recipe uses oven-roasted buttercup as a starting point. Click here for instructions on how to roast a buttercup.
|1||Carrot, large, roughly chopped|
|3 cups||Chicken stock, hot|
|1||Apple, peeled and grated|
|½ tsp||Curry powder|
|1 stalk||Celery, roughly chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, roughly chopped|
|½ tsp||Ground coriander|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ tsp||Ground turmeric|
|1 piece||Ginger, small, grated|
|3 cups||Buttercup pumpkins, roasted|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, and add the first three vegetables along with garlic, bay leaf and ginger. Cook gently until fragrant and translucent then add coriander, cumin, curry powder and turmeric.
- Add apple, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add roasted buttercup, chicken (or vegetable) stock, salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover and rest soup for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and blend the soup until smooth. Add more stock if it’s too thick. Check seasoning and serve with a dollop of sour cream or a swirl of olive oil.