Photo by Tamara West
This recipe uses oven-roasted buttercup as a starting point. Click here for instructions on how to roast a buttercup.
- Line a 24cm flan tin with sweet shortcrust pastry and rest in the fridge or freezer for 5 minutes. Blind bake in a 200C oven for 10minutes, remove the baking beans, and bake for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to rest.
- In the food processor blend buttercup with evaporated milk to a smooth puree. Place in a bowl.
- Beat eggs and castor sugar until the volume has doubled and the mixture is pale and ribbony.
- Add vanilla extract and fold in the buttercup puree. Add grated nutmeg, ginger powder, five spice, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in the rest of the 375ml can of evaporated milk and pour into the pastry shell.
- Bake at 200C for 10minutes, then reduce temperature to 170C and cook for a further 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.