Saving our bacon
( SERVES 4 )
The Aussies come to the rescue with recipes for a tasty version of New Zealand's favourite picnic pie.
|180 g||Streaky bacon, shaved or thinly sliced|
|1 to taste||Chives, cut or finely chopped parsley, if available|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|1 to taste||Pepper|
|1 to taste||Ground nutmeg|
To Make The Pastry
- Put the flour into a processor bowl. Cut the butter into dice and add to the flour.
- Process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Put half the whisked egg in a small bowl and stir in the water. Set aside the remaining half egg to use as a glaze for the pastry.
- Add the egg and water to the processor through the feed tube while pulsing the motor.
- Pulse briefly, then turn off the processor. Tip the crumbly mixture into a bowl.
- Use your hands to press the mixture into a smooth mass, adding a few more drops of water if it refuses to come together.
- Wrap in plastic film and set aside in a cool place for at least 20 minutes.
To Assemble And Bake
- Divide the pastry in half. Sprinkle a little flour on a bench and roll out one half to a thickness of medium-thin to generously line a standard 23cm Pyrex pie-dish.
- Roll out the other half to a similar size to make a lid. Prick the lid lightly with a fork, put on a plate and set aside in a cool place. Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Put the bacon in a heavy frying pan and fry over a medium heat until almost crisp. Lift out and drain on a paper towel. Cut into 2cm lengths. Scatter over the pastry.
- Carefully crack the eggs over the bacon, trying not to break the yolks, although it isn't a tragedy if some do. Sprinkle the herbs over the eggs and trickle with cream.
- Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and a little nutmeg. Brush a little of the glaze around the rim of the pastry, then place the lid on top, pressing down around the edges.
- Use a small sharp knife or scissors to cut any excess pastry off the edge of the pie. Use your fingers to crimp the border. Brush lightly with the glaze.
- Place the pie in the lower third of the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until the pastry is light biscuit in colour, top and bottom.
- Remove from the oven and cool to lukewarm before cutting.