Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Berries
( SERVES 6 )
The Heart Foundation has come up with a Valentine's Day menu to show that healthy choices don't have to be cuisine killjoy. There's even chocolate on its three-course menu, but that doesn't mean a boxful - it is, after all, Heart Week, so enjoy all things in moderation. Check out the website (www.heartweek.org.nz) and click on Valentine's Recipes for ideas for a romantic picnic, a heart-healthy evening meal, or a full day of recipes that you'd happily eat any time of the year. We rather fancied the following:
- Put the chocolate in an ovenproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl does not come in contact with the water and that no water touches the chocolate. Stir over a low heat until the chocolate melts then set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the gelatine and 60ml water into a small pot and stir over a low heat until the gelatine dissolves and the liquid is clear. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the ricotta and custard together until smooth. Press through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold through the ricotta mix. Fold the gelatine and chocolate into the ricotta mix.
- Spoon the mousse into six 125ml-capacity ramekins or mugs, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Serve with mixed fresh berries.