Use a portable smoker or a wok. The flavour of smoked mushrooms is quite strong. Use one to two in a stir-fry or pasta dish, on pizzas, or in stews. For added flavour, add one to any dish using mushrooms. The smoked mushrooms may be refrigerated for up to two days or wrapped individually in plastic film and frozen for up to three months.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms.
- Combine the oil, garlic and black pepper. Brush over the mushrooms.
- Line a wok with a double layer of foil. Sprinkle the tea leaves evenly over the base.
- Place a wire rack over the top. Cover and heat on medium-low until a little smoke rises.
- Place the mushrooms on the rack, rib-sides up. Cover and cook for five minutes on medium-low.
- Turn the mushrooms over and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the strength of flavour you prefer.
- Remove from the rack and cool.