Apricot cake with sugared walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Heat a pan and add the tablespoon of butter then the sliced apricots.
- Let the fruit soften and caramelise, remove from the heat after 10 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale then add the yolks one at a time, combining well, then fold in the flour.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture.
- Spoon into prepared tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Lightly oil a baking tray, then in a heavy bottomed pan, melt the extra sugar over medium heat.
- When it begins to bubble, add the walnuts, swirl to coat with the sugar then tip on to the oiled tray.
- Let cool then roughly chop. Pile the apricots and walnuts onto the cake and serve with cream.