Pearl barley and broccoli salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Modest and unassuming, mainly used in soups and stews, pearl barley is nourishing and a sweet, delicious base for salads.
Honey lemon dressing
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1||Lemon, zested and juiced|
|1 Tbsp||Liquid honey|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Place dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine or place in a small jar and shake well before using.
- Place the pearl barley in a saucepan, just cover with water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until barley is tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled pearl barley, broccoli, fennel, red onion, parsley and chicken. Stir through the dressing and top with seed mix.
- Chop any fennel fronds and put through the salad with parsley.
- Add 1-2 cloves crushed garlic to dressing.
- Replace seed mix with roughly chopped toasted almonds.