Sirloin steak with roasted beetroot and watercress salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
A great steak and a hearty salad to satisfy the whole family at dinner time.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds|
|450 g||Beef sirloin|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 Tbsp||Juniper berries|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar, plus 1 tbsp brown sugar|
|400 g||Beetroot, whole|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh thyme|
|4||Shallots, peeled and sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 cup||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
- Prepare the marinade: lightly toast the spices in a dry pan for 3 or 4 minutes or until they become fragrant. Crush the spice mix in a mortar and pestle.
- Rub the steaks with the spices and oil and leave to sit for at least 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a lined roasting dish place the beetroot, mushrooms, thyme, shallots and garlic. Add the cumin, brown sugar and olive oil and massage into the vegetables.
- Place in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the beetroot has softened, stirring once or twice while cooking. Remove from the oven, toss over the balsamic and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat a barbecue to a medium heat. Place the steak on the grill for 4 or 5 minutes before turning and repeating on the other side. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Toss the olive and watercress through the beetroot and serve with the steak.