Tandoori chicken skewers with lemon, coconut and almond pilaf
( SERVES 5 )
Kids and adults alike will love this meal, full of flavour and fun. Kids love anything with chicken on skewers! You will need 8-10 bamboo skewers which should be soaked in water ahead of time to prevent burning.
|8||Chicken thighs, free-range, cut in half lengthways|
|2 Tbsp||Vegetable oil, or olive oil|
|3 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|2 tsp||Tandoori paste|
|2 Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|1||Large onion, brown, diced|
|2||Garlic cloves, minced|
|2 cups||Long grain rice, wild rice blend|
|¼ cup||Threaded coconut|
|⅓ cup||Slivered almonds|
|3½ cups||Chicken stock, (made from stock powder)|
|1||Lemon, juice & grated zest|
- Combine chicken with oil, lemon juice, tomato paste and tandoori seasoning. If you have time, marinate chicken for an hour, or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- To make the pilaf, heat oil in a large-sized pot on medium heat and cook onion and garlic until soft and slightly browned (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add turmeric, cinnamon stick, rice, coconut and almonds and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes, coating rice with oil well.
- Add sultanas, chicken stock, lemon zest and juice. Stir well and bring to the boil, then reduce to lowest heat and cover tightly with a fitting lid.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes (do not lift lid during cooking).
- Turn off heat and leave rice, covered (again, do not lift lid), to steam, a further 8 minutes. Uncover and fluff up rice grains with a fork. Remove cinnamon stick. Keep rice warm.
- While rice is cooking, grill the chicken. Heat oven grill to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Thread 2 chicken slices on each skewer.
- Place on tray and season with salt. Cook under hot grill for 8-10 minutes each side.
- Combine all raita ingredients in a bowl. To serve, spoon some pilaf on each plate and accompany with 2 chicken skewers and some raita.