Duck Egg Sponge
- Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper on the bottom.
- Then, tie with string a sleeve of baking paper around the outside of the tin so that it comes 7cm above the edge of the tin.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks and sugar for 20 minutes. By hand is the best method, but you can cheat and use an electric mixer if you like.
- The mixture will take on a gorgeous coral colour and is ready when the mixture retains an impression of your spoon or whisk for a few seconds.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the sugar and yolk mixture.
- Sift the flour, then fold bit by bit into the mixture. Don’t beat or overmix – you want to keep the lightness of the sponge.
- Bake at 175 degC for 1 1/2 hours. For the first hour, place the cake in the top half of the oven, then move down to the lower shelf for the remaining time.