Beer and corned beef
( SERVES 4 )
A simple tasty favourite that can be served hot with potatoes, braised cabbage and a mustard sauce, or cold in sandwiches with pickle.
- Place corned beef in a heavy stock pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Discard the water, then rinse out the pot.
- Place beef back in the pot with the beer and garlic.
- You will need to add water to the pot to ensure the meat is covered in liquid throughout the cooking process.
- Cover, keeping lid slightly askew. Bring to a rolling boil and then simmer for 2 to 2½ hours.
- Turn off the heat and leave beef to sit in the liquid for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- In the test kitchen we left the beef and liquid covered in the fridge overnight, and then reheated it.
- Serve with mustard, lightly cooked cabbage with caraway seeds, mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.