Baked Eggplant, Parmesan & Mozzarella
|1||Onion, peeled and diced|
|2||Garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|400 g||Canned tomatoes, (plum tomatoes)|
|1 to taste||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 Tbsp||Marjoram leaf|
|1 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|2||Eggplant, (medium - large)|
|1 cup||Basil leaves|
|1 cup||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|150 g||Mozzarella cheese, sliced|
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan. Saute the onion and garlic until softened.
- Chop the tomatoes and add with their juice to the pan. Season and add the marjoram and wine vinegar. Cover and simmer, until reduced.
- Meanwhile, cut the eggplants into 1cm-thick slices. Brush with plenty of olive oil. Grill, barbecue or pan-fry until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degC. Lightly oil a 22cm x 15cm baking dish. Spoon a little of the tomato sauce on the base of the dish.
- Sprinkle with a little parmesan, then top with the eggplant.
- Repeat these layers until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Top with mozzarella. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly.
Tip: Substitute 1kg of fresh plum tomatoes (skinned, seeded and chopped) for the canned tomatoes, if preferred.