Wok-Steamed Red Chicken
This chicken could be butterflied if preferred. The cooking time would then be about 50 minutes.
- Wash the chicken and dry inside and out.
- Combine the salt, pepper, soy sauce, sherry, hoisin sauce and red food colouring.
- Brush over the chicken, inside and out. Marinate for at least one hour.
- Place on a steamer rack above simmering water in a wok or saucepan.
- Cover and steam for about 75 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Brush the chicken with oil and place under a preheated grill. Grill on all sides until the skin is crisp.
- Excellent served with stir-fried veges.