Aunt Daisy goes gluten-free
Based on the Mangatainoka Christmas cake but using gluten-free flour.
|2 cups||Gluten-free flour|
|¼ tsp||Whole nutmeg, grated|
|¼ tsp||Baking soda|
|125 g||Candied peel|
|1||Lemon, finely grated rind|
|250 g||Brown sugar|
|4||Eggs, beaten to a stiff froth|
|¼ cup||Brandy, or wine|
|12||Pitted prunes, soft & juicy|
|125 g||Ground almonds|
|1 Tbsp||Icing sugar|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 22-23cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Sift flour, nutmeg and baking soda into a bowl.
- Combine currants, raisins, sultanas, candied peel and lemon rind.
- Cream butter and sugar, until light. Add eggs, beating in well.
- Add all the fruit - except prunes. Lastly, add flour mixture and brandy or wine. Mix thoroughly.
- Place half the mixture in prepared pan. Lay prunes over top then strew with ground almonds and icing sugar.
- Top with rest of cake mixture.
- Put cake in oven and reduce heat to 150C. Bake for 1 3/4 hours or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool then wrap in foil and store in a cool place for at least two weeks before cutting.