- Sieve flour into a electric mixer bowl. Add cornmeal, salt, sugar and pepper. Pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and mix in short bursts to make a breadcrumb-like mix. Add the oil and water slowly with short bursts on the mixer to combine.
- Run hands under a cold tap to cool, dry quickly, turn out dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 30 seconds. Bring the dough together into one ball and flatten with the heel of your hand. Place in a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough so it's nice and thin, about 3mm. I use a pizza cutter to cut into squares but a knife will do.
- Pop some greaseproof paper on a baking sheet, space out the crackers, brush with a little water and prick with a folk. Sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (keep an eye on them as they will burn quickly if not watched). Take out when golden and let cool. Eat with home-made butter!