Baileys Sundaes with Caramel Whiskey Sauce
Poached pears are excellent served with the icecream and sauce.
|1 cup||Toasted walnuts, chopped|
- Soften the icecream slightly and fold in the Baileys. Refreeze.
- To make the sauce, bring the sugar and water to the boil in a one-litre heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil without stirring, until the syrup begins to turn golden (about five minutes).
- Continue to boil, swirling the pan occasionally, until the syrup is a deep gold colour. This can also be achieved in the microwave.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the whiskey, cream and salt. The mixture will bubble up and the caramel will harden.
- Return the pan to the heat and simmer, stirring, until the caramel is dissolved and the sauce is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Serve the sauce over scoops of icecream and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.