Beef and Guinness four-leaf clover pie
My take on a traditional Irish pie.
- Set the oven to 180C.
- Cut the steak into 2.5cm cubes. Toss in the flour, seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy pan suitable for the hob and oven. Saute the beef in batches, until browned. Set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pan with a little extra oil, if required. Saute until the vegetables are coloured. Add the water, tomato paste, stock, Guinness and herbs.
- Simmer, stirring, to remove any pieces stuck to the pan base. Return the beef to the pan. Cover and cook in the oven for 90 minutes. Cool.
- Place the beef mixture in a 25cm-diameter deep flan or pie dish.
- Brush the edges of the dish with the beaten egg. Fill with the beef mixture. Join two sheets of pastry to cover the top. Trim.
- Cut a four-leaf clover from the remaining pastry sheet. Brush the top of the pie with egg, place the clover on top and brush with more egg.
- Make two slits in the top. Bake until golden - about 30 minutes.