Roasted pork loin with prunes and apples
( SERVES 6 )
An economical festive roast. Ask your butcher to finely score the skin and, if the skin hasn't crackled by the end of cooking time, place it under the grill for a few minutes - watching in carefully.
- Place prunes in a bowl and cover with water or port. Stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine shallot, apple, sage and breadcrumbs. Add to prunes and mix well.
- Heat oven to 160C. Lightly oil a roasting pan.
- Open out pork loin. Pat stuffing over centre. Roll up and tie with string every 3cm.
- Any leftover stuffing can be wrapped in foil and baked beside the roast.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in a roasting pan on the flap.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water. Roast for 30 minutes per 500g plus 30 minutes. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 71 degC.
- Gravy can be prepared using the pan juices. Excellent with baked apples and baked kumara.