Roasted pork loin with prunes and apples
An economical festive roast. Ask your butcher to finely score the skin and, if the skin hasn't crackled by the end of cooking time, place it under the grill for a few minutes - watching in carefully.
- Place prunes in a bowl and cover with water or port. Stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine shallot, apple, sage and breadcrumbs. Add to prunes and mix well.
- Heat oven to 160C. Lightly oil a roasting pan.
- Open out pork loin. Pat stuffing over centre. Roll up and tie with string every 3cm.
- Any leftover stuffing can be wrapped in foil and baked beside the roast.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in a roasting pan on the flap.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water. Roast for 30 minutes per 500g plus 30 minutes. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 71 degC.
- Gravy can be prepared using the pan juices. Excellent with baked apples and baked kumara.