Roast turkey with sausage stuffing and cranberry sauce
( SERVES 8 )
I used a free-range turkey ordered from the butcher.
|½ cup||Fennel bulb, diced|
|500 g||Sausage meat|
|1||Red pepper, seeded and diced|
|1||Green apple, cored and diced|
|1||Orange, finely zested|
|1 tsp||Dry mixed herbs|
|75 g||Butter, softened, to baste|
|2 Tbsp||Thyme, leaves|
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Ensure turkey is fully thawed and giblets removed. Wipe dry and season the inside with salt and pepper.
- To make the stuffing, melt butter and saute onion until soft. Add fennel and saute for one to two minutes. Cool.
- Combine with remaining stuffing ingredients. Fill neck end of turkey then fill cavity. Secure stuffing by inserting small wooden skewers across cavity opening. Truss turkey with string to ensure it keeps its shape.
- Place on a rack in roasting pan, breast-side up. Combine butter and thyme. Spread half over the breast. Add 1 cup of water or stock to pan.
- Slit an oven bag down one side and put it over the turkey. Cook for two hours, turning pan around once.
- Lift up oven bag. Spread breast with remaining butter mixture, cover again with the bag. Add extra water or stock to the pan if required.
- Cover with oven bag and continue cooking for 1 & 1/2 hours or until the timer pops. To prevent the legs from becoming too brown, cover them with foil.
- Remove turkey to a warm platter. Cover with foil and a thick towel to keep warm. Use juices to make a gravy.
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan. Slowly bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Gently simmer until cranberries start to burst.
- Cool. Remove cinnamon quill and star anise. Chill.