Steamed butterfly prawns, spinach and oyster sauce
( SERVES 4 )
This is a very pretty and delicious dish that is quick to prepare.
|12||Prawns, medium sized with tails, deveined|
|½ cup||Bamboo shoots, cut into matchsticks|
|250 g||Spinach, or similar Chinese greens, cut into 5cm lengths|
- Mix the prawn seasoning ingredients together.
- Butterfly each cleaned prawn (make a cut down the middle and flatten). Cut a small hole in the middle of each, near the widest part. Place a few bamboo shoot strips on the middle of the prawn, then fold the tail so you can pull its spiky end through the hole. Drizzle seasoning over prawns, refrigerate until needed.
- Place the rolled prawns onto a plate, put in a steamer for 6 to 8 minutes until just cooked. Remove and keep warm, covered with a bowl.
- Place all the prawn sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan. Heat and stir until lightly thickened.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add spinach or greens and quickly stir-fry until wilted. Add sugar, salt and water. Continue stir-frying for 30 seconds or so. Drain off any excess water. To serve, place spinach onto a plate, top with the warm prawns and drizzle with sauce.
If you find putting bamboo shoots through the prawn tails a bit fiddly, add them to the stir-fried spinach instead.