American cherry pie
Summer is the perfect time for fresh cherries – however, when making cherry pie, the test kitchen recommends using tinned cherries.
- Preheat oven to 185C on fan bake.
- Line a lightly greased 18cm-wide pie dish with the sweet pastry.
- Place the tinned cherries, sugar and cinnamon into a medium-sized pan. Bring to a boil over a medium heat, then stir in the cornflour and water mixture and simmer for 1 minute, or until the juices thicken and become translucent. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the butter and almond essence. Allow the filling to cool down so it is lukewarm.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell. Cover with the second sheet of pastry, crimp the edges to seal and make cuts in the top to allow steam to escape. Egg wash the top then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for two hours before slicing.