Spaghetti with clam sauce
- Cook spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water for 1 minute less than packet instructions.
- Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup cooking water. Set aside.While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic and red chilli. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft – about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in wine and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add clams. Cover and simmer, 3 to 4 minutes, shaking pot occasionally, until clams have opened wide.
- Discard any that are still closed.Add the warm pasta to clams. Continue to cook until pasta is al dente, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and parsley. Add some reserved cooking water to thin sauce if necessary.
- Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon.
Cook’s tip: For a delicious finishing touch, finely grate lemon zest over your pasta.