Spicy mussels and chorizo
( SERVES 4 )
New Zealand green-lipped mussels are the best in the world – plump, juicy and full of freshness.
With a thick piece of crusty bread, this dish will fast become one of your favourites, plus it’s easy on the purse.
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Baby onion, medium, finely diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||Red chilli, chopped|
|1 cup||Dry white wine|
|3 cups||Canned tomatoes, or fresh, chopped|
|4||Chorizo sausages, fresh, sliced into 1 cm-thick pieces|
|1 kg||Mussels, fresh, scrubbed and de-bearded|
|⅓ cup||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, fresh at-leaf, coarsely chopped|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
- Fry onion, garlic and red chilli in olive oil until tender.
- Add wine, bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and chorizo.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mussels. Cover and continue cooking, shaking pot occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes or until all mussels are opened. Discard any that are not.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Cook’s tip: This can be made with almost any mollusc shellfish. Clams work particularly well