Chicken, celery, porcini and potato
This is filling yet light, perfect for a romantic evening.
- Cover dried mushrooms with boiling water and leave to infuse for 5 to 10 minutes. Take out mushrooms with a slotted spoon and strain the liquid through a muslin cloth to remove grit. Put liquid and mushrooms aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C on fan bake.
- Cut drumsticks off the Maryland pieces and halve the thighs. Score drumsticks several times and place all the chicken into a baking dish.
- Scatter celery and fennel seeds around chicken. Then add the potatoes, reserved mushroom pieces, garlic and fresh rosemary.
- Cover chicken with stock, wine and the reserved mushroom water.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and drain most of the liquid into a saucepan. Reduce to about ¾ cup of liquid. Return chicken to the oven and cook about 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Pour over the reduced stock and serve with a crisp salad and green vegetables.
When in season and if your budget allows, use 1 to 2 bulbs of fresh fennel instead of celery.