Photo by Babiche Martens
A traditional Italian dessert, panforte contains fruits and nuts -very similar to fruitcake. Makes one 9 inch cake
|4 tsp||Cocoa powder, (preferably dutch)|
|⅔ cup||Plain flour|
|½ tsp||Ground ginger|
|¼ tsp||Ground cloves|
|90 g||Dark chocolate, (finely chopped)|
|1 cup||Hazelnuts, (toasted with skins rubbed off and chopped)|
|1 cup||Almonds, (toasted and chopped)|
|1 cup||Raisins, (finely chopped)|
|½ cup||Glace cherries|
|½ cup||Pitted prunes, (finely chopped)|
|¼ cup||Candied citron, (finely chopped)|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
- Preheat oven to 150C. Line a 9 inch springform tin with baking paper and grease well.
- Sift the cocoa and flour with the spices and salt then stir in the chocolate, nuts, fruit and citron.
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar and honey to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved then boil without stirring for two minutes.
- Quickly add this to the dry mixture, stir to combine and spoon into the prepared tin. Spread evenly, using the back of a wet spoon to press firmly.
- Bake for 50 minutes and cool completely before removing from the tin.