Fig and pistachio Christmas tarts
( MAKES 16 small tarts )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|8||Dried figs, finely diced|
|½ cup||Raisins, finely diced|
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Lemon zest, finely grated|
|½ tsp||Nutmeg, grated|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ cup||Pistachio nuts, roasted,finely chopped (plus some left whole to top each tart)|
|2 Tbsp||Icing sugar, to dust|
- To make the pastry put the the flour, icing sugar, salt and butter into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stop, whisk the yolk and water together, restart machine and pour the liquid in.
- As soon as the pastry begins to hold together, stop the machine, remove pastry and wrap in greaseproof paper. Chill for an hour.
- Allow the pastry to return to room temperature so it is easy to roll. Preheat oven to 170C, and grease the tart tin.
- In a saucepan, place all the filling ingredients and gently simmer for at least half an hour, stirring occasionally, until the liquids have been absorbed and ingredients are well combined, almost jam-like. Cool.
- Roll out pastry, cut circles and line the tin. Fill ¾ full and top with a smaller circle of pastry. Brush with a little milk and top with a pistachio.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Dust with icing sugar if preferred.