( SERVES 4 )
Keep a few of the mussels and clams in their shells.
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1||Large onion, diced|
|2||Garlic cloves, diced|
|1 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|1 pinch||Dried chilli|
|1¼ cups||Risotto rice|
|1¼ cups||Dry white wine|
|4 cups||Fish stock, boiling|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|700 g||Seafood, mixed eg: raw prawns, mussels, skinned fish etc|
|1 to garnish||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
- Heat the butter and two tablespoons of the oil and the butter in a heavy frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, courgettes, fennel seeds, chilli and saffron.
- Cook - stirring - on low heat for 15 minutes. Do not brown.
- Stir in the rice and increase the heat. Stir the rice until translucent. Add the wine and stir until it evaporates.
- Add a ladle of boiling stock and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir until the rice absorbs the stock. Repeat until the rice is soft but still has a slight bite. Season.
- Add the seafood and cook gently for 3-4 minutes until the prawns are pink and the mussels and clam shells have opened.
- Serve in 4-6 wide bowls. Pour the remaining stock and oil over the top, add a squeeze of lemon and garnish with flat-leaf parsley.