Eggplant rolls with asparagus, peppers and labaneh
- With a sharp knife, very thinly slice the eggplant into rounds.
- Heat a frying pan, add 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and fry the eggplant in batches, turning until golden and adding more oil if necessary.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Trim any woody ends off the asparagus and halve lengthwise. Slice the pepper into strips, discarding seeds.
- Heat a little more oil and cook these in batches for about 3-4 minutes.
- Lay the eggplant slices flat, then top with asparagus, pepper and a small spoonful of labaneh - about 1 tsp, depending on the size of the eggplant.
- Season and bring the sides of the eggplant up to enclose the filling.
- Press together to ensure they hold, though toothpicks can be used if necessary.