Beetroot and asparagus salad
( SERVES 4 )
Something different for a summery barbecue meal. Serve as a side dish to barbecued steak or sausages.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Trim the beetroot leaves, but leave some of the stalks and tails intact. Wrap individually in foil and place in the oven. Bake for an hour or more, depending on size, until a toothpick meets a little resistance. Remove, unwrap and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the asparagus spears downwards from a point 3cm-4cm below the start of the flower head and snap off where the stalk naturally breaks. Trim to an even size then cut each spear on an angle into two or three pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add salt and the asparagus and cook for 4 or 5 minutes, depending on thickness. Drain, plunge into iced water, then drain again and leave to reach room temperature.
- Peel the beetroot and cut into wedges. Place the vinegar, oil, garlic clove (part-cruched and peeled) and salt and pepper in a small jar and shake to amalgamate. Remove and discard the garlic. If you have an olive de-stoner, remove the pips.
- Place the beetroot, asparagus and olives in a bowl and add the dressing. Toss carefully with your hands, then distribute among four plates. Scatter the cubes of goats milk cheese (or feta) over the top and serve.