Chilled soba and grilled chicken
Photo by Tamara West
The cool colours of this yummy dinner are just right for autumn.
- Place chicken breasts, garlic and soy in a shallow dish. Turn chicken a few times to coat, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cook soba noodles according to packet instructions. Rinse very well under running cold water to remove all starch. Separating the noodles to untangle any clumps, transfer them in a loose pile to a large plate, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients together. If there are any firm little pearls of lemon flesh, add these to the sauce too.
- Place chicken breasts on a rack over a baking dish and bake at 220C for 15 minutes (or until cooked through). Set aside for 5 minutes, then slice thinly, crosswise.
- Picking up just a few chilled soba at a time, arrange them in loose piles on individual plates. Arrange cucumber batons and mizuna alongside, then add some chicken slices to each plate too. Divide dipping sauce between 4 little bowls and place one on each plate.
- Put sesame seeds, ginger batons and sliced spring onion in small bowls for passing.
- To eat, add your choice of sesame seeds, ginger or spring onion to the dipping sauce. Dip each mouthful in your sauce before eating.