Italian-style Christmas pud
A delicious pudding prepared using panettone, an Italian-style light-textured bread containing dried fruit.
- Line an eight-cup metal pudding basin with plastic wrap, leaving enough to wrap over the top of the pudding.
- Cook hazelnuts in a heavy-based frying pan for five minutes over a medium heat until lightly browned.
- Pour into a large sieve and shake to remove skins. Coarsely chop.
- Beat ricotta, mascarpone and icing sugar, until smooth. Chop chocolate into small-medium pieces. Add to ricotta mixture together with hazelnuts, chocolate, dried fruit and orange rind.
- Using a sharp knife, cut panettone lengthways into six 1.5cm thick slices. Remove crusts.
- Arrange 4 of the slices, overlapping slightly, around the sides and base of the pudding basin. Brush with 2 Tbsp of the liqueur.
- Spoon ricotta mixture into the panettone, pressing in firmly.
- Brush both sides of the remaining panettone with the remaining liqueur and place firmly on top of the pudding. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to chill.