Tamarillo and custard muffins
( MAKES 10 )
Soft, light muffins with a surprise custard and tamarillo centre. Buy or make a custard that is very thick for these muffins. The custard will be very runny when the muffins are hot but will firm up when they have cooled. These are best eaten on the day.
- Heat the oven to 190C. Lightly grease 10 holes of a 12-hole muffin pan and line them with squares of baking paper. This will make it easier to remove them when cooked as the custard makes the muffins very soft.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and place aside.
- Combine the flour, caster sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Combine the butter, milk and egg together and mix into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Half fill the muffin holes with the mixture. Make a dent in the middle of each. Drop in a good teaspoon of custard and a half slice of tamarillo. Top with the remaining muffin mixture. Top each muffin with a half slice of tamarillo and sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon mix.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
For ease of peeling tamarillos, score the ends and place in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Plunge in to ice cold water, then peel.