Potato Waffles with Smoked Kingfish
Adapted from a recipe from the Harris Smokehouse. The potato wafers are also excellent topped with smoked salmon.
Makes about 15.
|250 g||Potatoes, for mashing|
|6||Chives, snipped, plus extra to garnish|
|1 Tbsp||Parsley, finely chopped|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1||Egg, white only, lightly beaten|
|½ cup||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|1 tsp||Chilli, diced or crushed|
|200 g||Kingfish, smoked, thinly sliced|
- Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters. Boil until tender. Drain well. Add the butter and seasonings. Mash until very smooth. Add the egg white and mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180degC. Line one or two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the potato mixture onto the trays then thinly spread with a spatula to make discs about 6cm in diameter. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden and crisp. Cool on a wire rack. These can be prepared 1-2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Place in the oven to crisp for a few minutes, if preferred.
- Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt, lime juice, chilli, parsley and snipped chives.
- To serve, place the kingfish on the potato wafers and top with a little of the yoghurt mixture and chives. Serve as nibbles or a starter to dinner.