Figs in red wine syrup
Ripe figs only need the lightest poaching. Done this way the figs are very rich - three per person will be enough.
- For 20 small figs: warmred wine with sugar.
- Add bay leaf and a strip of orange zest.
- Once the sugar has dissolved sit the figs in the liquid and poach them in the simmering wine for 10 minutes.
- Remove the figs with a slotted spoon and place them in your serving bowl.
- Turn the heat up and reduce the poaching liquid to a syrupy consistency.
- Remove the bay leaf and orange zest and pour over the figs.
- Allow to cool before serving with a plain vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche.
- You can could also add other spices, such as a cinnamon stick, a few star anise or a vanilla pod.