Butternut, almond and apricot muffins with creme fraiche icing
( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Tamara West
Similar to pumpkin, butternut usually features in savoury dishes, however because of its slight sweetness and nutty flavour I thought it might be nice in baking, like carrot, and it was! Here is the resulting recipe.
Creme fraiche icing
- Heat oven to 180C fan-bake. Line a medium 12-pan muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place all ingredients, except dried apricots, in a food processor and blend until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and stir in dried apricots.
- If you don’t have a food processor, simply mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined (you don’t have to worry about over-mixing the muffin batter as there is no gluten in it).
- Spoon mixture into paper cases, filling to the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Stand a few minutes before turning out. Leave to cool completely before icing.
- To make icing, mix creme fraiche with icing sugar and spread over cupcakes
Nadia recommends: The cupcakes will keep in the fridge for a week. They freeze well too.