Squid and scallops on pasta
( SERVES 4 )
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Cut each squid tube open, wipe with a paper towel and score the inside diagonally, forming a pattern of 1/2cm "diamonds".
- Cut into 6cm pieces, then add to the boiling water.
- Remove as soon as the pieces curl and turn opaque. Trim off and discard the hard "boot" from the side of each scallop, but leave the orange roe intact.
- Put aside with the squid.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot or frypan and cook the chopped onion and celery until translucent.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 30 seconds then tip in the tomatoes, chopping roughly in the pot.
- Season, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until you have a thick, chunky sauce.
- Check the seasoning. About 15 minutes before the sauce is ready, bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt generously.
- Add the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes, then drain.
- Just before the pasta is cooked, add the squid and scallops to the tomato sauce and cook for a minute or so, just until the scallops turn opaque and the squid is tender.
- Ladle the pasta into warm bowls and top with the seafood sauce. Sprinkle chopped parsley on the top.