Thai barbecue squid, chilli lime sauce and cucumber
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
A fresh, hot and incredibly simple dinner for two.
Chilli lime sauce
|2||Green chillies, long, halved, deeseded if you wish to reduce heat, and roughly chopped.|
|2||Limes, juice of 2, zest of 1.|
|4 stems||Coriander, with leaves, roughly chopped|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|2 tsp||Palm sugar, shaved|
- Make sauce by placing all ingredients in the bowl of a stick blender, or the small bowl of a food processor. Blitz until finely chopped. Adjust seasoning to taste
- Toss cucumber, onion, salt and sugar together. Leave to drain in a sieve for 10 minutes, then pat dry. Toss with lime juice and chill until ready to serve.
- Cut squid tube lengthwise through 1 layer to open out, then pat dry and score with a sharp knife in a crisscross pattern.
- Cut again lengthwise to divide into 2 equal pieces. Skewer each piece with 2 skewers crossing diagonally from corner to corner. Rub squid with fish sauce and garlic. Set aside 5-10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat barbecue grill to very hot. Cook squid for 1 minute each side — squid should char a little.
- Serve squid on steamed jasmine rice with cucumber salad, and chilli lime sauce on the side for spooning over the squid.