Chef Wan's Malaysian prawn and noodle salad
|3 drops||Vegetable oil|
|125 g||Rice noodles, dried|
|300 g||Prawns, fresh|
|1||Onion, thnly sliced|
|1 handful||Fresh herbs, mint, coriander and chives, torn|
|2||Limes, juice only|
|3 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
- Drop 125g of dried rice noodles into a pan of boiling water, remove from the heat and leave to soak for ½ a minute, or until just tender.
- Drain and refresh under cold water. Toss with a few drops of vegetable oil to stop the strands sticking together, then leave in a colander to drain really well.
- Grill 300g large fresh prawns in a pan or on the barbecue.
- Thinly slice a medium onion. Tear a large handful of fresh mint, coriander and chives.
- Roast 100g of peanuts and chop finely.
- Juice 2 limes and add 3 tbsp of Thai fish sauce. Put the noodles in your bowls or a platter.
- Mix the above ingredients gently with the noodles, and top with the prawns. Make the sauce, pour over the salad and serve immediately.
- For the sauce: Put everything into a food processor or blender and grind, using the pulse button, into a coarse, wet paste, almost soupy in texture.
- 2. If barbecuing, you could have the salad base and sauce ready and chilled in the fridge.
- Grill the prawns and serve straight from the barbecue, sizzling into the chilled base - inspired.