Coconut and tamarind sambal
A Sri Lankan table will consist of curries, rice, roti and several sambals and side condiments, all served together to create a lovely blend of tastes.
- Soak dried tamarind pulp in warm water for half an hour.
- Strain through a sieve, keep the tamarind water and discard the pulp.
- Place green chillis, deseeded and cut finely, crushed garlic and fresh ginger in a mortar and grind with the pestle.
- Add turmeric, salt and desiccated coconut and grind again, gradually adding the tamarind water until you have a thick paste.
- Keep any leftover tamarind water as you will use it later.
- Serve as a side dish.