The name aioli comes from Provencal words "alh" meaning "garlic" and "oli" meaning "oil". It is an emulsion sauce, like mayonnaise.
- Smash 6 fresh, peeled garlic cloves to a paste in a motor and pestle.
- Whisk into this 2 egg yolks and, if you like, a teaspoon of grain mustard.
- Starting with small quantities, start whisking in olive oil (2 cups in total) and the juice of half a lemon.
- The oil can be added more quickly once the emulsion has started. Use your best oil, this is a major component of the taste of the sauce.
- Season with salt to taste.