Chicken and asparagus salad
( SERVES 4 )
- Trim chicken breasts (skinned), wash and pat dry. Place wine, thickly sliced onion, parsley sprig, lemon rind and juice, plus squeezed lemon wedges, seasoning and a cup of cold water in a shallow pan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken, then lower the heat to a very gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is just cooked, turning once. It should take no more than 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl and leave to cool in the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, peel the asparagus, working downwards from a point 7-8cm below the bottom end of the flower tip. Snap each spear off where it breaks, trim and cut on an angle into 6cm lengths.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the asparagus for 6-8 minutes, drain, then immerse in a bowl of iced water. Drain as soon as it cools and leave to reach room temperature.
- Remove chicken breasts with a slotted spoon, with some of the lemon rind, and cut into finger-sized strips. Place in a bowl, add the vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, torn basil and salad leaves. Toss well, then fold in the asparagus and diced tomato. Serve with crusty bread.