Photo by Babiche Martens
Angela recommends using damson plums: "They make the best jam - rich, deep in colour and with a bit of lemon for a little tartness." Scrummy on toast, scones, brioche or a bakewell tart. Plus there is enough to store away for winter.
Makes 4 small jars.
- In a large pot, place the plums and water. Bring to a simmer to soften the plums.
- Remove from the heat and with a slotted spoon remove the stones.
- Return to the heat and add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rolling boil for 20 minutes.
- Test a bit on a saucer, to ensure it is starting to set.
- Remove from the heat, and bottle in sterilised jars, cover and label.