Pork and tamarind kebabs
Photo by Doug Sherring
- Soak tamarind paste in three cups of warm water.
- After half an hour, squeeze the pulp out and sieve the liquid. Discard the pulp.
- Add 2 cups of coconut milk to 2 cups of the tamarind water.
- Gently poach cubes of lean pork (I used loin) in this mix. Keep warm.
- Make a fresh sambal: Chop chillies, garlic ginger.
- Grind these in a mortar and pestle or pulse in a food processor, turmeric, salt and desiccated coconut.
- Mix well, then thin back to a firm paste with the remaining cup of tamarind water.
- Thread the poached pork cubes onto skewers and dab the sambal onto each one.