Photo by Janna Dixon
|4||Vine ripened tomatoes|
|1 handful||Fresh basil|
|1||Parmesan cheese, grated or tasty cheese|
- Make pancakes.
- Roast small vine tomatoes (leaving the tomatoes on the vine) coated with olive oil and a good seasoning of salt and pepper.
- You could also sprinkle balsamic vinegar or throw in a few stalks of basil for added flavour.
- Make your favourite white sauce, season well and mix in freshly grated parmesan or tasty cheese.
- Make a filling. I mixed fresh ricotta, wilted spinach and chopped through some roasted tomato, adding some more parmesan. (You could use any manner of things - poached chicken strips with mushrooms, smoked fish with blanched celery and hard boiled egg, a lasagne-type meat sauce.)
- If the filling needs binding together, do so with the cheesy white sauce.
- Roll the pancakes around your filling and sit them in a baking dish.
- Smooth over the sauce, sprinkle over some more grated cheese and bake in a moderate oven until heated through and the sauce is bubbly.
- One whole roll may look a bit rustic on the plate, so to serve cut the cannelloni in half to expose the contents.