Lamb leg in a pot
Photo by Michael Craig
- Sit the joint in your pot and set your oven to medium.
- Pour at least 3 cups of a "soft" red wine over the meat (merlot for example).
- Add a whole head of garlic, 2 bay leaves, 10 peppercorns, a small sprig of rosemary and the zest and juice of three oranges.
- The lamb doesn't need to be covered but it needs to be well bathed.
- Top up with water or beef stock to mid level, season with salt and 2 tablespoons of raw sugar.
- Put the lid on and cook for at least one and a half hours, the meat should be fall-apart tender.
Tip: Check the seasoning and serve with lots of juices, wilted winter greens and maybe some fresh mint sauce.