Eve Page's Very Nice West Coast Pudding
( SERVES 8 )
Artist Evelyn Page's magical culinary legacy lives on in the recipes that she shared with friends and family.
|1||Orange, (zest only)|
|1||Lemon, (zest only)|
|1 optional||Passionfruit pulp|
- To make the base, break up the sponge cake and place in a round serving bowl. Add the juice of the oranges and lemon, sugar and rum, mix lightly and set aside for an hour or so.
- To make the topping, put the sugar, zest of one orange and one lemon and cornflour in a heavy medium saucepan.
- Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the saucepan and putting the whites into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Put the juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange into a cup measure and top up with water to 1 cup. Add about a quarter of the liquid to the saucepan and whisk the mixture until smooth, then add the remaining liquid and the butter. Put over a low heat and stir constantly until thick. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff and fold into the cool egg-yolk mixture.
- Return the saucepan to a low heat and stir until the mixture is heated right through in order to cook the egg whites. Cool to room temperature before pouring over the sponge cake and juices in the bowl. Set aside until cool.
- To serve, whip the cream softly and spoon over the top of the pudding. Drizzle passionfruit over the cream.