Double-baked goats' cheese souffle
( SERVES 8 )
- Preheat the oven to 190degC. Lightly grease eight number one (3/4-cup) souffle dishes or similar.
- Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook on low heat for one minute, or cook in the microwave. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Bring to the boil. Simmer on low for one minute, until thick. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in the herbs, pepper and egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold into the cheese mixture. Do not over-mix. Pour into the souffle dishes and place in a baking pan. There should be about 3cm between each dish.
- Pour hot water into the baking pan to reach halfway up the souffle dishes. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until risen and golden on top. Cool. Refrigerate until required.
- To serve, upturn the cooled souffles into individual baking dishes. Cover with a little cream. Bake at 190degC until risen and golden. Serve immediately, garnished with the chopped herbs.
- Excellent served with a side salad that has been tossed in a tangy vinaigrette.
Serves eight as a starter.