Fresh cherry and chocolate shortcake
The base for this shortcake can be made a day ahead and the dessert assembled several hours before serving.
|180 g||Butter, ice-cold, cut into chunks|
|60 g||Icing sugar|
|2||Free-range egg yolks|
|2 drops||Pure vanilla extract|
- To make the base, place the flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor, then pulse until the mixture becomes like fine crumbs.
- Add the yolks and vanilla and pulse until the pastry forms a ball. Place on a floured bench and knead lightly for a few seconds until smooth.
- Rest it for about 10 minutes. Roll out the pastry to fit a 22cm round tin or a 35x25cm oblong tart tin with a removeable base.
- Let the pastry rest for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prick the shortcake all over and bake until golden and crisp – 25-30 minutes. Cool.
- To make the topping, beat the mascarpone and crème fraîche together. Fold in the grated chocolate, then spread evenly over the shortcake. Arrange the cherries in neat rows on the top.
- Gently combine the jelly and water, beating until the jelly is melted and smooth. Using a pastry brush, cover the cherries with the jelly glaze.