Sticky Christmas puddings
( SERVES 6 )
These light puddings can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two months or the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Lightly brush six to eight 8cm-wide muffin pan holes with melted butter or oil. Alternatively, use small souffle dishes.
- Place the prepared fruit in a bowl and cover with the hot coffee. Add the vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then sift in the flour.
- Fold in the fruit and its liquid. Spoon into the prepared pans or dishes - about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients and heat, either in a saucepan or in the microwave, until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn the puddings on to a tray or plate, pour the warm sauce over and reheat in the microwave or oven.
Excellent served with fresh berries and whipped cream.