Christmas chocolate souffle log
( SERVES 12 )
|2 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|1 pinch||Vanilla essence/extract|
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Prepare a 24x36cm baking tray by lining with baking paper.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into 2 large bowls.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar and vanilla until light and creamy.
- Sift the cornflour, cocoa and a pinch of salt together, then gently fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the whites until stiff, then carefully fold into the yolk mixture, ensuring no volume is lost.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the soufflé is light and firm to touch.
- While it’s still hot, turn the soufflé onto a clean tea towel, remove the paper and roll up.
- To finish, make the icing by melting the butter in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the cocoa and icing sugar.
- Add just enough boiling water to make a thick but spreadable icing.
- Unroll the chocolate soufflé, and spread the jam over the surface.
- Spread the cream evenly on top and roll up.
- Place on a long serving platter, then spread with the hot icing.
- Decorate with berries and almonds.
Serves 12 with extra berries and ice cream.